The Directory - Things to do, places to
go and people to talk to in Hartlepool

Do you need extra help with your rent?

Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday

Do you need extra help with your rent?

What is a Discretionary Housing Payment?

A Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP) is a special payment made to individuals where it is considered they need extra help with their rent.  A DHP is not part of the normal Housing Benefit Scheme.  The Council is given an amount of money to pay out each year on DHP's and can not spend more than the allocated amount given by the Government.  Each application is considered on its own merit.  

Criteria to claim a DHP

  • You must be entitled to Housing Benefit or Housing Element of Universal Credit.
  • Your circumstances must mean you need extra help with your rent.
  • The maxium DHP payment you are able to claim is the difference between your eligible rent and the amount of Housing Benefit you receive.
  • A DHP cannot be paid as help towards rent arrears, council tax arrears or other loans or debt.

How to apply

  • You must complete a DHP application form and return it to the Children's Hub  in Civic Centre.
  • You can obtain an application form by calling into the Civic Centre, contacting the Children's Hub on 01429 284284.
  • If you require assistance with filling in the application form please speak to a Customer Service Officer at Civic Centre.

What information is needed?

  • To be able to pay your claim the Children's Hub must be satisfied you need extra help with your rent. 
  • The Children's Hub shall compare your income and your outgoings and establish if you have enough money to pay your rent.
  • The Children's Hub will need details of your income, savings and outgoings.
  • All quesions must be answered in full on the application form or the form shall be returned to you.

How long can a DHP be paid for?

  • A DHP shall be paid for a set period of time that is agreed by a panel of Children's Hub Officers.
  • There are no time limits for how long a DHP can be paid. 
  • Once your award has run out you can re-apply and your circumstance shall be reviewed again.

How is a DHP paid?

Your DHP payment shall be paid in with your normal method of Housing Benefit / Housing Element payments.

What if I disagree with the decision?

The decision to award or refuse a DHP is at the discretion of Hartlepool Borough Council.  You cannot appeal against the decision.  However, if you do disagree or your circumstances have changed you may request a review  the decision.  This review must be in writing within 14 days of the decision.  You must provide further information you feel is relevant to support your application.

This information has been provided directly by the organisation/ service provider. However, it is still always a good idea to contact them to check nothing has been changed.

Who to contact

01429 284284

Where to go

Name of venue
Civic Centre
Venue address
Victoria Road
TS24 8AY

When is it on?

Date & Time Information
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday
Session Information
Monday 9am - 1pm and 2pm - 4pm
Tuesday 9am - 1pm and 2pm - 4pm
Wednesday 9am - 1pm and 2pm - 4pm
Thursday 10am - 1pm and 2pm - 4pm
Friday 9am - 1pm and 2pm - 3.30pm

Journey Planner

Address: Victoria Road  Hartlepool 

You are texting details about Do you need extra help with your rent?