The Directory - Things to do, places to
go and people to talk to in Hartlepool

A ONE Plan is a legal document.  This means that the LA must ensure that the support included in it is in place for your child and review it at least once per year.  It also means that the people who support your child must provide the services in Part Three of the plan.  If these things do not happen you can make a complaint and appeal to the SEN Tribunal.

 A Co-ordinated Support Plan is a non-statutory document.  This means that the Support included in it is not legally enforceable.  Whilst your child’s education setting may choose to keep it up to date, they do not have to.

 Both the ONE Plan and Co-ordinated Support Plan will include a Personal Profile of your child, a description of their needs, information about the support they need to succeed and achieve and a list of the people who support them.

  • The LA will send you a list of the schools that are suitable for children with special educational needs.
  • The LA will send you details of mainstream and special schools in the area.   You will also receive a list of all Schools known as ‘non-maintained’ special schools and independent special schools.  You have a right to express a preference for any school.

You have a right to say which education setting you would like your child to attend, either mainstream or special.  This can be the setting they already go to.  The LA must agree with your preference as long as:

The school you choose is suitable got your child’s age, ability, skills and SEN;

  • Your child’s presence will not damage the education of other children already at the school; and
  • Placing your child in the school will be an efficient use of the LA’s resources.

All of the mainstream schools in Hartlepool are able to support children with special educational needs and you can ask to see their policies or local offer information so that you know what they can offer.  Some schools also have additionally resourced provision catering for children with particular difficulties and there are two special schools that pupils with the most severe and complex special educational needs attend. 

Deciding which school you would like your child to go to is an important matter.  If you need any help, information or advice about which schools will be able to meet your child’s needs you can contact the SEN team or the Parent Partnership Service. 

You will have 15 days to tell us which school you would like your child to attend.  If you need more time than this, or would like to discuss it, you can let us know and we will try to accommodate your request.

We have to consult the school before naming it in your child’s ONE Plan, but the LA will make the final decision.  You will be fully informed about this and we will explain our decisions to you.

You will receive a final copy of your child’s ONE Plan, containing the name of the school, within 20 weeks of us receiving the assessment request.


Please contact Louise Allen: / Tracy Liveras: for more information.